Sailing Tips For Your First Marine Holiday
If it is your first time taking a sailing holiday, it’s probable that you’re a little nervous about the logistics of enjoying a smooth holiday without any hiccups. From getting out of port, to maintaining course to your first night’s sleep, there are a few things that may be cause for concern for individuals sailing for the first time. All of the ‘firsts’ associated with your first marine holiday may be a little nerve-wracking, so we have prepared the following sailing tips to prepare you for your first marine holiday. The sailing tips included in this guide are designed to help you feel more comfortable at sea and ensure your trip is a memorable experience.
How Much Does A Yacht Charter Cost?
The cost of a yacht sailing charter varies greatly depending on the type of boat you are employing. Sydney Yacht Charters charges the following rates:
- $1300 p/h for charters less than 24 hours.
- $10-13k per day, depending on the vessel.
- $80,000 for a seven day charter.
The prices listed above are for a standard charter with 6 passengers, 2-3 crew and food and drinks. In addition, we also have the following super yacht packages available:
- 60-foot monohull boats for $40-60k for a seven day charter.
- One World Super Yachts for $120,000 for a seven day charter.
Do I Need A License To Charter A Boat?
Yes, you do need a license to charter a boat by yourself. If you don’t have a license then Sydney Prestige Yachting can provide a skipper as per the prices listed above.
Sailing Tips For A Successful Charter
Choose A Good Destination
The first tip we recommend considering before your charter holiday is to choose a good destination. Do plenty of research about activities in the area and make sure there are enough places to explore for the duration of your holiday. Given that it is your first time sailing, we recommend you choose a quieter location to anchor your boat, for example, between coasts or near islands, as opposed to a location in the middle of the sea.
Check The Weather Before Departing
It’s always vitally important that you check the weather for your chosen holiday location before you leave. It might seem like the most basic thing to do, but a lot of our clients simply forget to check before they leave and have their holidays ruined when they come across rough seas. Read every weather forecast near your location and if it looks like the holiday is going to be too rough, perhaps consider postponing until the weather conditions are more favourable.
Go With The Right Team
Make sure you choose your companions carefully before you take on the seas in your yacht charter. During your sailing holiday you will be confined to a small space with the people you’ve chosen to holiday with. Given this, you want to make sure you’re with people you can be comfortable with in an intimate setting.
What Do I Need To Pack?
- Pack Light: There is limited space available on a yacht, so only pack essential items. Backpacks or duffel bags are more appropriate than big suitcases.
- Sunscreen and Sunglasses: You will be exposed to the sun for a long time during your trip so bring as many forms of sun protection as you can.
- Bring entertainment: Entertainment is a necessity, especially at night. Bring speakers, books, snorkelling gear and anything else you will use to whittle away the hours on-deck.
- Don’t forget toiletries: Everybody forgets these at some point. You will need soap, shampoo, conditioner, a toothbrush and toothpaste, mosquito repellent and deodorant to ensure your trip is hygienic.
- Leave your important jewellery at home: There’s nothing more frustrating then losing an expensive watch or bracelet overboard. Leave these items at home in case you lose them.
Contact Sydney Prestige Yachting
If you and your family are preparing to book your first sailing yacht charter, contact Sydney Yacht Charters to have a chat about a luxury yacht charter on the East Coast of New South Wales. Sydney Yacht Charters can charter any number of luxury superyachts for you and your family. If you need sailing tips, we are available to talk to you Monday to Sunday, 7:30am to 6:00pm. Call today on 0432 550 989 or reach out via our contact page to ask any questions before you book your next holiday.